Stein Mart is a national off-price retailer offering designer and name-brand fashion apparel, home décor, accessories, and shoes at everyday discount prices. Stein Mart provides real value that customers love in over 280 stores across the United States and online. Apply today and join the team!
At Stein Mart, our purpose is to inspire our customers to look and feel special while saving money. Six values support our purpose, guide our behavior and smartly move us along our path to accomplishing our goals. Embracing this purpose and demonstrating these values will bring out the best in us every day and our customers will feel special every time they interact with us.
We are welcoming, friendly and look for ways to make you feel special
We are accountable for our actions and challenge ourselves to proactively improve
We move with speed and purpose to achieve success
We are kind and concerned for the well-being of every person
We are empowered to be innovative and resourceful
We make things easy for people to shop and work with us
Stein Mart currently has an opening for a Senior Accountant. The Senior Accountant will be responsible for accurately recording all fixed asset and real estate activity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Fixed Assets -
• Maintaining assets in subledger (JDE) (adds, transfer, disposals, depreciation, etc.)
• Reviewing and approving all fixed asset invoices and journal entries
• Preparing fixed asset impairment schedules and reviewing assets for obsolescence
• Preparing the fixed asset rollforward schedules for costs and accumulated deprecation
• Preparing the reconciliation of the fixed assets sub ledger to the general ledger
• Reviewing the work in process (“WIP”) accounts
• Preparing capital expenditures (“capex”) reporting
• Updating/maintaining accounting policies for fixed assets
• Prepare/review various reconciliations (WIP, Cloud Computing prepaid, impairments, gain/loss on sales, etc.)
• Preparing capex budgets/forecasts, including depreciation
• Preparing fixed assets support for financial statement footnotes and disclosures (Capital).
• Maintaining and reviewing the automobile leasing program
• Tracking art investments
Real Estate -
• Preparing check requests for rent and rent related payments
• Preparing desktop audits of landlord invoices
• Reviewing new store/facility leases and amendments
• Preparing Real Estate JE's
• Preparing Real Estate reconciliations
• Preparing Real Estate reports for distribution
• Preparing pass-through billings for subtenants
• Preparing official store counts
• Reviewing leases for finance vs. operating status
• Preparing budgets for Real Estate expense accounts
• Maintaining policy and procedures
Competencies for the Position include the following.
Customer Focus – Understands who the customer is for their work group; handles customer requests politely and efficiently; follows procedure to accurately resolve customer problems
Professionalism – Maintains pleasant and professional image; deals with others in straightforward and honest manner; maintains confidentiality; supports company mission and brand; conveys both good and bad news with tact and sensitivity; follows all company policies and procedures
Job Knowledge – Understands duties and responsibilities; has necessary technical skills and understanding of tools & resources; understands policies and procedures; takes initiative to develop new skills and improve performance; able to quickly understand new information and processes (learning); makes sound and reasonable decisions.
Technical Mastery – Proficient in the use of computer and systems applications necessary to perform job; keeps knowledge up to date and readily adapts to change; maximizes use of technical resources to improve and maintain efficiency in executing job duties; follows technology practices and standards.
Dependability – Meets deadlines and commitments and accepts responsibility; stays focused under pressure; Reports to work as scheduled in a timely fashion meeting attendance and punctuality requirements; Is dependable and trustworthy.
Productivity – Manages a workload and meets production standards as appropriate for position; takes initiative to find additional tasks/opportunities; prioritizes task and manages time efficiently; demonstrates good organization skills and work habits; completes tasks with minimum number of errors.
Communication – Communicates clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing; listens attentively for understanding; creates accurate and punctual reports; shares information and ideas with others; stays open to other viewpoints; manages distractions and interruptions.
Teamwork – Understands how the job impacts and influences the results of others; works well with leader and others to accomplish team objectives; welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere; looks for opportunities to create and maintain a positive work environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required. Master’s Degree, CPA, or two years of experience preferred.
Technical: Knowledge of general ledger systems (JD Edwards) and proficient in Microsoft Excel
Physical: Sitting at workstation will constitute up to 75% or more of a work shift. Standing, stooping, bending and lifting up to approximately 30 lbs. as needed. Able to use equipment for 50% or more of a work shift including reading from a computer monitor, operating calculator and typing on a computer keyboard. Maintain a consistently high degree of accuracy on routine tasks with time constraints of the job duties.
Behavioral Attributes: Demonstrate attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy. Exhibit an interest in working with people in a team environment. Results-oriented, willing to follow through, make informed decisions, complete tasks and solve problems. Must be able to work independently and meet weekly deadlines.